Here’s a quick recap of which home espresso machines use capsules, and which capsules they use.
Nespresso Espresso Maker:
Capsules: Uses Nespresso Capsules exclusively. Available in a variety of flavors and grinds.
What it makes: Only espresso, which you can use to make all kinds of coffee drinks.
CBTL Kaldi S04 Single-Serve Beverage Center:
What it Makes: Espresso, coffee, hot chocolate and tea. All available from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.
Francis Francis X7.1 For illy:
Capsules: Uses illy’s IperEspresso Capsules exclusively. Available in different roasts. No flavored coffee.
What it Makes: Espresso only. The machine features a steam wand that you can use for milk frothing.
Gaggia Plus for Illy:
Capsules: Uses Illy’s IperEspresso capsules exclusively.
What it Makes: Espresso. Machine includes a steam wand for easy milk frothing.
Keurig Rivo 500:
Capsules: Uses Lavazza capsules exclusively. Available in 4 different blends.
What it Makes: Espresso, Cappuccino and Lattes. Includes a built-in automatic milk frother.
Single-serve capsule espresso machines offer you delicious espresso with a touch of a button. Lately, they’ve been wildly popular for how convenient they are, not to mention how mess-free and low-maintenance they are. But there are many options in the market, and you’re not sure which one to get. So, we’ve decided to create this comparison of the top rated single-serve espresso machines to help you with your buying decision.
These machine all share these basic features:
- Automatic capsule piercing and ejection.
- Push-button coffee preparation.
- Reprogrammable coffee volume buttons.
Nespresso U Espresso Maker:
- 19 bar pump – 25 seconds pre-heat time.
- 27 ounce removable water tank.
- Three espresso sizes: Ristretto, Espresso and Lungo.
- Automatic memorization of selected cup sizes.
- Water tank turns 180 degrees to each side so you can set it up however fits your counter space.
- Light indicators for low water tank and full capsule container (holds up to 12 used capsules)
- Magnetic drip tray that can be removed to fit larger cups.
- Nespresso machines are compatible with Nespresso capsules only.
- Capsules are available in a wide range of roast and flavors.
- There are (non-official) reusable Nespresso capsules that you can use to brew other espresso brands.
- The machine requires a separately sold milk frother if you’re planning to make milk-based coffee drinks.
- Nespresso U is the newest Nespresso machine on the market, but there are a few others available. See our post about them here: Difference between Nespresso U, Pixie and CitiZ machines
Click here to read the customer reviews of the Nespresso U and to learn more about.
Gaggia for Illy Espresso Machine:
- 1 Litre water tank (about 40 ounce).
- Steam wand for heating and frothing milk for cappuccinos or lattes.
- Hot water dispenser to use for other drink preparation.
- Stainless steel boiler.
- Mavea Water Filter – Uses a four-stage filtration process to purify tap water and reduce scale and mineral buildup.
- Capsules container holds up to 12 capsules before having to dispose.
- Height adjustable drip tray.
- Uses illy’s IperEspresso capsules exclusively.
- Illy IperEspresso are available in different roasts (Dark, Medium, Ethiopian, Brazilian, Decaf… ).
- There are no refillable/reusable IperEspresso capsules.
Click here to learn more about this machine and read the customer reviews.
Francis Francis IperEspresso X7.1 Espresso Machine
- Cool retro look with modern efficiency.
- 15 bar steel thermoblock pump.
- 40 ounce water tank.
- 2-stage brewing process to ensure a full-bodied espresso shot.
- Pannarello steam wand which ensures easy milk frothing.
- Uses Illy’s IperEspresso capsules exclusively.
Click here to read the customer reviews and learn more about the Francis Francis X7.1
CBTL Kaldi Beverage Center:
- A complete beverage single-serve machine that makes espresso, coffee, tea and hot chocolate.
- Uses 15 bar pump pressure for espresso – 3.5 bar pressure for tea and coffee.
- 40.6 ounce removable water tank.
- Light indicator for empty water tank.
- Used capsule container holds up to 12 capsules.
- Available in 4 colors.
The machine uses capsules made by the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, but it’s not exclusive to that. Since the machine uses CAFFITALY system, you can buy any capsules from ANY brand as long as it’s labelled with CAFFITALY.
The Kaldi does not have a built-in steam wand, so you’ll want to bundle it with a milk frother if you want to make milk-based drinks.
Click here to read the customer reviews of the CBTL Kaldi Machine.
– For machines that don’t have a steam wand, check out these electric milk frothers for quick and easy milk heating and frothing.
– If you decide to go for a Nespresso machine, you’ll want one of the Nespresso capsule storage units.
Here’s one truly super-automatic machine that will most likely double up your caffeine intake – because it’s that easy to use and produces the most delicious drinks possible! The Gaggia Accademia espresso machine is an all-in-one machine that does it all with a single push of a button. Whatever coffee drink you want, it prepares it on demand starting from coffee grinding to milk frothing and pour. Push the dedicated button for your preferred drink and watch the machine does it all. It will also clean and maintain itself automatically, so all you have to worry about is which coffee drink you want to start your day with and which you want to end it with.
- Six dedicated buttons for different coffee drinks.
- A display screen for easy control.
- Fully adjustable and programmable machine. Program coffee quantity from 7 to 10 cups.
- Adjustable coffee dispenser that can accommodate different cup sizes.
- Built-in steam wand.
- Built-in ceramic conical burr grinder.
- Bean hopper with double lid that keeps your coffee beans fresh and saves aroma.
- Coffee ground container that is detachable and can be removed from the front.
- Hot water dispenser.
- Durable stainless steel housing.
One of the best features the Gaggia Accademia has is that is automatically rinses itself before and after every use, so you know your next cup will never have that left-over taste. The machine grinds and doses the perfect amount of coffee for your required drink, that guarantees you a well-made cup of coffee every time.
This machine is on the high-end of espresso machines, it is quite pricey and many people might not consider it because of it. However, you have to keep in mind that is this a SUPER-AUTOMATIC machine, it does the the required work – including the dreaded cleaning part – so you’ll be paying for true luxury. Not to mention that it is a more durable option. There are many Automatic espresso machines available for under $1000 (many we’ve featured here)that can work as well as this one, but they will require your attention when it comes to cleaning and maintaining them.
The one complaint the Gaggia Accademia has been receiving this that sometimes the milk is not hot enough. If this is a problem you should ever encounter, what can be done is use the steam wand to quickly make the milk hotter in seconds. This issue is known with all super-automatic machines, they’re built to believe you’ll be consuming your coffee immediately after brewing so they heat the milk just enough for you to be able to drink it right away. So using the steam wand to bring it up a few degrees will solve this.
Other than that, the Gaggia Accademia is one smart super-automatic that will make you forget about any coffee chain you’ve ever visit and take your right to the cafes of Europe, every single day.
Gaggia has been one of the most favorited espresso machine manufactures among espresso lovers. They do make sturdy machines that create world-class espresso, but not all of those machines are without fault, and some are certainly better than others.
Here, we’re looking at the Gaggia Baby Class Manual Espresso Machine, a great, entry-level manual espresso machine complete with a steam wand to create delicious gourmet coffee drinks.
Features of Gaggia Baby Class:
- Manual espresso machine with steam wand.
- 60 oz removable water tank.
- 15 pump bar. High watt boiler.
- Push-button controls.
- Can make two shots at the same time.
- Portafilter include: single shot, double shot, E.S.E pod filter basket.
- Coffee scoop and coffee tamper also included.
Overall, the features of the Gaggia Baby Class are great. It allows you to create a decent shot of espresso, and with the use of the steam wand – while it takes some getting used to – creating cappuccinos and lattes should be fun and easy. However, this is a single-boiler machine, which means you brew espresso and steam milk at the same time, and a little bit of a wait between the two tasks is required.
If you’re in the market for an espresso machine that is within the price range of $300 to $400 and you’re considering the Gaggia Baby Class, I would advice you to reconsider. While it’s not particularly a bad machine, Gaggia does have a way better machine that is available at the same price range and is more durable and reliable, and that is the Gaggia 14101 Classic. With 17 bar pump, a larger 72 oz water tank, a hot water dispenser in addition to the steam wand and a cup warming tray to keep your cups ready at all times, you will be getting a way better deal and a machine that will certainly last you longer and perform better.
Gaggia has always been a trusted brand in the world of Espresso machines. One of the best pump machines we featured on this site (and a best seller as well!) is the Gaggia 14101 Pump machine. But for someone who is looking for a more quick and convenient way to prepare espresso at home, a single-serve capsule machine is the perfect choice, and this Gaggia for illy machine combines two coffee giants: Gaggia and illy Coffee, one of the best Italian coffee brand in the world.
This Gaggia machine was created to work with illy’s iperEspresso capsules. A simple to use and very convenient, it gives you Italian style, aromatic espresso with thick crema from a single touch of a button.
Features of Gaggia Plus illy espresso machine:
- Single-serve espresso machine for illy’s iperEspresso capsules.
- Dedicated control buttons for on/off, cup volume, and brew adjusting.
- Steam wand for milk frothing.
- Integrated container holds up to 12 used capsules before need to dispose.
- Mavea Water Filter – Uses a four-stage filtration process to purify tap water and reduce scale and mineral buildup.
- Hot water dispenser for making other hot beverages.
The machine is super easy to use, simply insert the capsule and press a button and the machine will brew your coffee in seconds. No fuss, no mess. When you want to create milk based coffee drinks like cappuccino or latte, you can use the steam wand to heat and froth the milk. You will easily create cafe-style coffee in no time.
The illy iperEspresso capsules are available in two strength; Medium and Dark roast. Decaf and Lungo (for higher coffee volume) as well as other South American and Ethiopian blends available. If you’ve tried illy Coffee before, you know you’ll be getting the best coffee quality there is.
The Gaggia illy Plus is in the same line as the Nespresso single-serve machine. The advantage a Nespresso machine gets over the Gaggia illy Plus is that Nespresso offers a wider variety of capsule blends. But if you’re already an illy coffee fan, then you know exactly what to expect from these capsules – the highest quality Italian coffee.
On our quest to find you the best automatic espresso machine priced conveniently under $1000, we came across a solid machine from a well reputable brand: Gaggia 90500 Titanium Super Automatic Espresso Machine. With a nice built-in conical burr grinder, a generous 60 oz water tank and everything you need to make delicious and fresh cup of coffee, cappuccino or latte… with this machine, you’ll never buy another cup of coffee again!
Features of the Gaggia 90500 Titanium Machine:
- Push button system – just push the programmed button for your preferred drink and let the machine do the rest!
- LCD digital control panel.
- Built-in conical burr grinder gives you coffee from the freshest coffee ground possible.
- 18 adjustable coffee grind options – 8 1/2 pounds bean hopper.
- Dual boils for coffee brewing and steaming. This allows the waiting time between brewing and steaming/frothing milk. The steam wand will always be ready to use instantly!
- Adjustable dispensing head for different cup sizes.
- Cup warmer on top of the machines fits up to 6 cups and keeps them warm and ready for you to use.
- 60 oz removable water tank makes it easy to refill.
As you’ve probably noticed, the machine is housed in stainless steel that makes it very durable, easy to clean and of course, gives it a nice sleek look. It’s a truly, fully automatic machine that, once setup, requires no work from you at all. With features like automatic frothing attachment, turbo frothing from the stainless steel steam wand, auto (as well as adjustable) coffee ground doser, you’ll be making top notch coffee drinks like the most professional barista in no time.
If you’re a frequent coffee house visitor, paying $5 per coffee drink, you need a machine like the Gaggia 90500 Titanium. You’ll be saving yourself so much money, as well as long queue time. You will see how such a super automatic machine pays for itself over and over again and you’ll wonder how you’ve ever lived without one before!
- Espresso and coffee maker combos
- Pump Espresso Machine
- Manual Espresso Machine
- Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- Espresso Pod Machines
- Espresso/Coffee Machines with Built-In Grinder
- Stovetop Espresso Makers
- Single-Serve Coffee Machines
- Coffee Pod Drawers
- Semi-Automatic Espresso Machines
- Dual Boiler Espresso Machines
- Coffee Roasters