What Is a Semi-Automatic Espresso Machine?
A Semi-Automatic espresso machine features an automated pump and automated temperature control, but each feature has a separate activation button that allows you to turn it on, off and control it as you want. Semi-Auto machines are available as single boiler machines (which means you can’t extract espresso and steam/froth milk at the same time as there’s only one boiler to control the temperature) or a double-boiler (you can do the two tasks at the same time as each has its dedicated boiler/temp. control.)
These type of machines are perfect for anyone who wants an easy way to prepare espresso and coffee drinks but still wants to control how to prepare their drink. With a semi-auto, you can control the temperature, the water flow for every espresso shot and basically customize their coffee better. That’s why semi-auto espresso machines are preferred by many people.
Top Rated Semi-Automatic Espresso Machines:
Gaggia 14101 Classic Espresso Machine:
- Commercial grade espresso machine for the home-user.
- Durable stainless steel housing.
- 17 1/2 bar pump pressure with high-voltage boiler. Single boiler.
- Steam wand that works as a hot water dispenser as well.
- 72 ounce removable water tank.
- Brass portafilters and grouphead for temperature stability.
- Includes portafilter with single and double shot filter, coffee scoop, and tamper.
KRUPS XP618050 Full Stainless Steel Twin Thermo Block Espresso Machine:
- Double thermoblock boilers. 16 bar pressure pump.
- Easily program features with a touch of a button.
- 100 oz water tank with water level indicator.
- Steam wand + another independent wand for hot water.
- Durable stainless steel housing.
Read our full review of the KRUPS XP618050 Twin Thermoblock Espresso Machine.
Breville 800ESXL 15-Bar Triple-Priming Die-Cast Espresso Machine:
- 15 bar Italian pump pressure.
- Thermoblock heating system.
- Automatic adjustment of water temperature after steam for the best espresso extraction temperature.
- Triple Prime Pump technology sends bursts of hot water to moisten the coffee ground in the portafilter. This works on expanding the coffee and builds higher pressure to extract more flavorful espresso.
- 75 oz water tank.
- Steam wand/ hot water dispenser.
- Accessories included: filters, tamper, cleaning tool, stainless steel pitcher.
- Patented portafilter that pressurizes the brewing chamber to produce best extracted espresso.
- Easy to read light indicators that show you when the machine is ready to extract or ready to steam.
- Steam wand with Pannarello attachment for easier milk frothing.
- Hot water dispensing option.
- 68 oz water tank.
You can read our full review of the Saeco Via Venezia Espresso machine here.
The name Bugatti is synonymous with one of the most exclusive and powerful cars in the world that many people dream of having. Now, you can have a Bugatti, just as powerful, beautiful and well crafted, however this time, the Bugatti is an espresso machine rather than a car.
The Bugatti Diva 15-bar Pump espresso machine is simply gorgeous. Made from solid Italian pieces, it screams of elegance and works as just great as it looks.
- Die-cast aluminum housing, with chrome finish.
- 15-bar pump.
- Extract one or two espresso shots at the same time.
- Use fresh ground beans or E.S.E Pods.
- Steam wand for steaming/frothing milk.
- Temperature gauge.
- Cup warming tray on top of the machine.
The Diva by Bugatti is a high-end machine that will last you long years to come. All internal parts are Italian made and the most important parts are made inside the Bugatti Group itself, so you know you’ll be getting the highest of quality.
Want to know what customers who already bought this machine think? Click here.
The KRUPS XP618050 is a semi-automatic espresso machine that packs some really great features for the espresso enthusiast to make use of. Designed with commercial grade features, but with the home user in mind, this is a really solid machine to have at home to make all kind of coffee drinks with ease and at a professional level.
Features of KRUPS XP618050:
- Double thermoblock system (heating system). Which means you’ll be able to brew espresso and froth/heat milk at the same time.
- 16 bar pressure.
- Programmable push-button features as well as manual.
- Large 100oz water tank with level indicator.
- Two separate nozzles: one for milk frothing/steam and another for hot water dispensing.
- Ability to brew one or two espresso shots at the same time.
- An active cup warming plate.
- Compatible with coffee ground or E.S.E pods.
The machine is built from full stainless steel exterior, making it durable and easy to clean and maintain, and of course, gives it a beautiful modern and sleek look. A polished chrome brew head is another plus in this machine.
There are easy to use buttons on the top of the KRUPS XP618050, one of a single shot, another for a double shot, one for manual use and other to program the machine. There are two knob controls on each side to go with each nozzle. On the left is the steam wand to helps you heat and froth milk. Being a dual thermoblock machine, you’ll be able to steam the milk as the machine brews the coffee – unlike a single heater machine which requires a bit of a wait between each task. On the right is the hot water dispenser, which you can use to prepare anything from Americano (which is espresso+hot water) or to brew a cup of tea. The hot water will always be ready to use.
The generous 3 Liter (100 oz) tank is something that many of espresso machines in this categories lack. This is most certainly a plus. On top of the machine, there’s an active cup warming plate that keeps your cups warm and ready to use at all times. Although professional baristas prefer to use hot water to heat the cups (which you can also do using the hot water dispenser), this is a quite pleasant feature to have.
Included with your purchase of the KRUPS XP618050 is a portafilter with single shot filter, double shot filter, a pod filter, a coffee scoop and a tamper. For the best shot of espresso, you are recommended to use a coffee grinder and grind coffee right before use (see our recommended coffee grinders for espresso here).
- Espresso and coffee maker combos
- Pump Espresso Machine
- Manual Espresso Machine
- Super Automatic Espresso Machine
- Espresso Pod Machines
- Espresso/Coffee Machines with Built-In Grinder
- Stovetop Espresso Makers
- Single-Serve Coffee Machines
- Coffee Pod Drawers
- Semi-Automatic Espresso Machines
- Dual Boiler Espresso Machines
- Coffee Roasters